Friday, February 9

Be Strong, Eva...

Few weeks ago, during one evening while recuperating, I received a MSN msg from my long time friend, Eva informing me about this news....

" Ex-national waterpolo team captain dies after battling long neurological disease
By Ng Kheng WeiJan 10, 2007
AsiaOne

Former national waterpolo team captain, Mr Mark Koh Wei Meng, has died after battling a debilitating neurological disease for four years. He was 38.
He died at 1.30am on Tuesday in his Normanton Park home, with his wife Eva, 33, and his family by his side. He was suffering from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, named after the American baseball player who died from it in 1941, at the age of 37.

The incurable disease usually results in patients losing control of their muscles gradually.
Mr Koh retired from waterpolo in 1999 after winning his seventh gold medal in the South-east Asia Games, and worked as a project manager in his uncle's construction firm.
He discovered that he had ALS only two years ago, when his muscles started to gradually weaken. He lost control of his hands in 2003.
The Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) collected $20,000 in 2005 from water-polo players and officials, as well as friends and well-wishers, to help pay for his medical expenses. The SSA later formed a special committee to raise funds for Mr Koh. The money was used to pay for his acupuncture sessions and Chinese herbs, which cost more than $300 a month.
His brother Ricky describes Mark as a "fighter" and battled the disease courageously, refusing to give up right till the end.

He told AsiaOne that his brother was very calm and was "more or less prepared for the worse" the day before he died.
A family man, Ricky said his brother made it a point to have dinner with his family members all the time.

Mr Tan Eng Bock, former national waterpolo player and 1976 Coach of the Year, and many other waterpolo players, went to pay their respects at Mr Koh's wake on Tuesday.
GOODBYE: Koh's former national teammates pay their respects at his wake at his Normanton Park home last night.

Mr Shen Zhi Zhan, 36, who trained together with Mr Koh from 1987 to 1989, said he was like a big brother to him, and was always cheerful and very caring towards his team members.
He said the former captain was one of the best players in Singapore's waterpolo history, displaying great leadership and skills.
"We are are very sad, because we feel as though something great is missing now," said Mr Shen.

The wake is being held at Blk 1, Normanton Park till Friday, when he will be cremated at Mandai Crematorium. "

Eva is one of the strongest women I ever known personally, I didn't console her, for I know no amount of words nor consolation will do. I can't say I understand her feelings then, for its too big a setback for anyone in life at this point of time. The thoughts of her returning to their condo which is familiar yet empty kept me sleepless for 2 nights. All I said was, if she ever need a breather/holiday, feel free to visit us in Vancouver and unwind.

Our friendship grew stronger when both our parents were diagnosed with cancer, we were both the main caregiver, it was straining, it was tiring. But Eva was always there to encourage me via MSN, we hardly meet up. Despite her hectic schedule, we managed to meet up for a short lunch just few days before I took off for Vancouver, I REALLY APPRECIATE it....


Later when her dad passed away and not long after her husband was diagnosed with this illness, I know the stress is once again upon her. Be strong Eva, you are really stronger than you could have imagined. Don't lose FAITH - For All I Trust Him.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Mel. It's almost a year now. I know He gave me strength. I am thankful and grateful to have you as a friend. We almost never met, but we are never far away coz we are like-minded and chatting over messenger has never been distant.

I am very happy you have settled down in Canada and I admire your courage. Take good care of yourself and live life.

Love, Eva

Anonymous said...

Hello Mel,
I stumbled upon your blog today and was really shocked to see this post. My sister and I know "Ah Meng" from the Water Polo team almost 20 years ago. He's like a big brother to us. The last time we contacted was in 1998.
I hope this is not the "Ah Meng" we know. I was never sure about his full name, whether it's "Wei Meng" or "Yew Meng". The last time we met, he told us he was helping at his uncle's contraction firm. I hope it's pure coincidence. I don't know whether it's appropriate for me to ask you this favor...
Wonder if it's possible for you to verify whether his parent lives in Ang Mo Kio (Blk 300 plus).
I would like to know if he is the big brother "Ah Meng" we know years ago....
Life is so unpredictable...

Mel said...

Hi Audrey,

I have not seen Eva online lately. Hence I am not able to verify the info immediately. However, I do know that WM was helping his uncle in the construction biz before he fell ill.

If you wish, leave me your email, I will see if Eva can reply to you.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you Mel, for your reply. We managed to contact a common friend we know and have verified that it is indeed the "Ah Meng" we know....
This incident has really made me realised how important it is to cherish the people around us, be it friends, relatives or family members. And never take for granted that they'll always be around us. Life is short, relish every moment now. I enjoy reading your posts, you write well. I have 2 girls too, age 2 and 8 years. :) You may like to visit our blog www.100pcangel.blogspot.com.