Sunday, February 3

Coping with Eczema

Thought I will just write briefly how we cope with this eczema thinggy since returning....
specially dedicated to Alternative mom.....

I am not sure how severe your daughter's eczema is. But my hubby has lived with it for the past 30 plus years, during his days in SG, he gets comments/stares/advises from strangers, and he usually have open wounds due to the scratching....

And one of the NSC specialists even suggested that he immigrate to a cold country many years ago..... (so we did take his advise seriously, heh heh!)

Its tiring when people will suggest all kinds of cream, methods, doctors to you, even though they meant well....we sincerely appreciate their well intentions.

Anyway, hope this help.

Kiddo only gets to go out in the morning and late evening
She is usually home or indoor by 11am-12pm.

When I find her school in Sg, it has to be air-conditioned. Her former childcare centre and her current kindergarten are air-conditioned. The downside is of course, more prone to flu bugs etc. And of course more costly too.

On days when she has outdoor play, I wrote a memo to school to inform the teacher that after the outdoor play, she needs to clean up, and apply her body oil. And we make it a point to apply oil on her body about 6-8 times a day. With the large amount of oil that is applied on her daily, I have been using organic brands like Lavera and Gaia, try to avoid those with paraben or petro-chemical.

In her school/everyday bag, there is always a damp towel, a bottle of organic body oil, a bottle of Zyrtec (anti-histamine) in case of peanut allergies and severe rashes on standby. I hardly bring her out to hawker centre, its a case of impossibility and frustration. Since returning, we do have to meet up with friends, we make it a point to meet at air-conditioned eatery place. Most of them understand and has no issue as they have known my husband's conditions all these years.

At home, I don't really switch on air-condition all the time. The air-con is only switched on when she is about to nap/sleep. Once she falls deep asleep, I will turn off the air-con and turn on the fan.

I will make sure she will always have fan "directing" at her, be it TV, or meal times. I also remind her that once she feels the heat and itch, go cool herself down infront of a fan.

There is a playground just right outside where we stay now, but she can only watch the other kids play, she only gets to go to the playground on a very very windy and cooling evening.

Of course, there are days when her rashes are full blown, I will just have to sucumb to Elomet (a controlled steroid), telling myself this is only temporal....she will be fine once she return to Canada.

And for perculiar reason, she is also getting rashes whenever she eats egg here in Sg.

These are no expert advises, just little things we do to make her feel more comfortable.

Everyone including my MIL is so suprised at how normal her own son looked with his rashes-free skin since returning from Canada. But it didn't last beyond 2 weeks, hubby's rashes are also appearing since then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel! Thanks heaps for writing this post! I can't seem to get to the comments page until today!

Coping with an eczema child in Singapore is really hard work and I just wonder, do you see that, besides being itchy and having the need to scratch, does your child have the habit of scratching (under stress, under situations where they know that they can scratch, etc)?

I'm not only fighting eczema now but also my daughter's habit of scratching that will then bring us back to the itch-scratch cycle.

Thanks so much for your generosity of time and kindness in writing this post for me! I truly appreciate it although I did take a while to discover it!