The more I chat with my some of my fellow Singaporeans who are living in Singapore. The more "gek sim" I am. Its not one or two, but quite a few of them. Ha, you may wonder what kind of friends I have right? From our immigration, we know we have all KINDS lor!
Some have the notion that being a housewife is so boring, everyday do the same thing, so free at home, no freedom, mentally draining, mentally challenging, emotionally this and that... the list went on. Simply look down on housewife.... say that the brain will degenerate.....
Most of these are friends who have young toddlers/kids like me, who leave their kids with maids, in-laws etc. My dear friends, I DO NOT HAVE SUCH LUXURY (of in-laws/own parents) be it in S'pore or Canada lor! And even so, when financially capable, my personal preference is not to leave kids with the maid, every family has different way of handling family arrangements, that I fully understandand & respect too, not everyone is suited to be a housewife. For me, I'd rather spend more time with my kid/s in these formative years. I also understand the pressure and the need to have dual income in S'pore just to SURVIVE. I was part of the rat race too.....but seriously, folks, don't have to keep debasing me just becuz I have given up a very good paying job in one of the largest bank in the world lor. My self-worth is not in my career path, not in the money I bring back. Everybody find self worth in different area, don't apply yours to mine. Yes, we have to start from scratch in Canada, thats because we are willing to give our generations to come a chance to have more choices in life. Is it a good gamble, we don't know for sure, but we tried. At the end, we may still go back to our sunny little island.
My dearest SINGAPOREAN friends, if you are really interested in immigrating to Canada, I say, THINK HARD, only if you are willing to eat the humble pie for the initial years. Nobody promise you a land of goldmine. Singapore is way too comfortable for most of us, so unless you have compelling reason to leave, don't try to be hero. Of course, if you have CAD$800,000, come in as investor immigrant, whole story, different liao lah. (we don't have CAD$800,000, so we are eating our humble pie)
In conclusion, one of my rare species S'porean fren who lives in Singapore who had been supportive all these time, MSN me "Singaporeans are obnoxious, obssessed with the wrong things in life". Nobody gets offended I hope, I am not referring to ALL SINGAPOREANS, just some obnoxious ones. You know you are not if you are not lor.
*maybe its the mee siam i had tonite, too spiced up...causing the blog to be so colorful....*
Thursday, April 19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Waaah... What happened to cause such a ruckus? Hahaha. We all have to start from scratch and I think you're doing a fantastic job!
Hi - don't be frustrated. I undestand what you are going through because i went through the same thing when i first quit my job and stayed at home to look after my son. As long as you are happy with what you are doing, you don't have to care what others think/say. I think you are luckier than me - at least you are in a bustling city. We have relocated and are now living in Outer Mongolia... Its a big village compared to Singapore...
Hey! Just to let you know, we are all very proud of you guys from our faraway location!
The first mile is always the hardest, but we are cheering you on!
Hey, don't care about what others say lah...so long as you are happy, hubby is happy, kiddo is happy...that's good enough! :)
Cheer up! At least i'm here giving you morale support...hehe.. :)
irene
indeed, i m glad so long as I dun need to see hubby and kiddo "scratch" whenever we head outdoor now.....any other type of start from scratch is bearable for us.
michelle,
wow....outer mongolia, i salute your braveness.......are you on a mission? it must be really tuff. keep us posted ok!
John, Blurblur
Thank you for your short note.
1st mile...is tuff. we are still trekking this mile....
By God's grace n strength!
Just found out about your blog from Irene's blogroll.
Don't worry, I was there before, I know what you mean. In fact, I left Spore with 2 kids, and I have 4 now, and have lived in 3 different countries. It's definitely tough especially when you're in a new country. I'm sure you know that Sporeans don't have many opportunities to relax and smell the roses, thus have diff priorities.
Well, I'm sort of reading your post in 'reverse order', so, all I can say is it has something to do with the lack of graciousness of our fellow countrymen. And I would do the same, too, if my daughter cannot make it to stay in Singapore with her eczema. What a fanastic way to improve everyone's quality of life. Next time, just tell the others that you need to breathe the better air in Canada. =)
Actually, you have made a pretty serious post sounds quite funny with all that Singlish lingo - really makes me laugh. Hey, you are doing a great job, humble pie or not. Wait till you see how some people look at Chinese here and think that English is not my first language! Urrgh! But never mind, it just add riches to our lives to know that we should never be like them in thoughts!
Post a Comment