(thanks joyce, for reminding!)
She is attending pre-school (similar to Nursery) here. The school term starts in Sept for all grades, so she will be promoted to the next level of pre-school this Sept. The kindergarten here only last a year, so she will be starting grade one (equivalent to Primary 1) 3 months before she turn 6.
She goes to school only twice a week for now, so for the other 2 days, I will do a 1 hour "home lesson" with her. Basically, we start off with spelling, she loves spelling. I normally give her words that are about 4-5 letters (eg. PIANO, ROOF). Each lesson, 3 new words. At times, she can spell words that suprised me too, like Monday, Tuesday etc. She is able to spell about 150 words.
After that, we will proceed with learning and recognizing chinese characters. She is now only able to recognise about 40 chinese characters. She will get all excited if she spot a character she can read in the mall.
Then we will end with simple Maths. She is able to do simple addition that adds up to sum of 20. Some of it, she can do it mentally (like 4+2=6). Will keep subtraction for later stage.
There is no "art & craft" element in our lesson coz she gets to do lots of that in school. And I am not a craft nor art person.....I always scored 'D' in school.
She is now able to read most books I get from the library. Her level of reading is approximately of K2-P1. She knows and understand the concept and sequence of days and months. She also remember daddy, mummy, jiu jiu (my brother) and her birthdates, and gets excited. She keeps track of the day/date pretty well.
Just in case anyone thinks I am driving her too hard, she will ask me why did I skip lessons (on days when I feel lazy!)
Below is a MSN conversation between us.... dad only helped her spell 'idea'. The rest, on her own. The conversation didn't get very far though!

1 comment:
Kudos to ur efforts! She certainly has a wealth of vocab and ability at this young age :)! Time to learn a trick or 2 from u!
Post a Comment