Saturday, June 23

Mom vs Nanny

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18942392/site/newsweek/page/0/
This article got me thinking .... once again.....

What do I want in life?
for myself?
for my kids?
for my family?
for whoelse?

What is my role as a wife? mother? sister?
Proverbs 31:9-31

I met a Filipino immigrant in church. She used to work as domestic maid in Singapore for a few years. She got her break and immigrated to Canada about 15 years ago as Nanny. As a qualified and experienced nanny herself, she doesn't entrust her kids to outsiders, her husband and herself work out their schedule in such a way that either one will always be home caring for the 2 young kids (4yo and 2 yo). That again, sets me thinking.........

Then, I came across this article : www.myspace.com/helpkaleb

**********************************************************************************
Attended our church's all ladies breakfast meeting few weeks ago. I am the youngest. Most of the ladies are in their 40s-50s. Nice people, but I did have difficult time upkeeping the frequency.

New life, new acquaintance, new environment, new friends, new church
Its not true that new things are always the best....
Have not met many people of my age group.

Most immigrants I met came like 10-20 years ago, in their 40s-60s, reaping their rewards now.
Their kids (about my age), are 'Canadianized'. I am not being closed minded, I try to make friends, but cultural difference is something I am still struggling with.

4 comments:

Irene said...

i'll be your friend, mel! I'm in your age group. hahaha.

let's visit together again!

Mel said...

Irene

oooh... so sweet of you!
I am older than you lah! Thank you for willing to be my fren here in this foreign land! Really appreciate! I will cook for u!

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean about cultural differences and making friends. I struggled with that, too, and it took me almost three long years. I finally made some friends but I have to say goodbye to them now.

It will probably feel like a long haul and sometimes, loneliness sets in. Till you find physical pally friends, hang around in cyberspace for support! = )

Mel said...

Alternative-Mom
Thanks for your encouragement....
3yrs, is no short time man! Glad that you did it.....